Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Mom. My Hero.













My mother was diagnosed with ALS in September 2006. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease,) is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease for which there is no treatment or cure. The disease robs the body of its ability to walk, speak, swallow and breathe. The life expectancy of an ALS patient averages 2 to 5 years from the time of diagnosis.
I’d like to introduce you to the remarkable woman I am privileged to call mom. Her name is Darlene Harvatine. While I call her mom, her friends call her Darlene or Dar. Have I already mentioned she is remarkable?

While her physical condition continues to worsen each day, with no hope of recovering her health, she has not allowed this terrible disease to keep her from having a good life or from reaching out to touch others.

She makes friends wherever we go. Today we went to an art show in Minneapolis. First of all, I applaud her for her willingness to get out in the community and live her life. She’s confined to a wheelchair now, with limbs that refuse to work, she is dependant on others for her every need. As I wheeled her through the show she smiled and gave the “thumbs up” signal to all she encountered.

A nice young man from the store below the art studio had to help us up the cargo elevator to reach our third floor destination. While upstairs my mom made several new friends, purchased a hat and scarf, and had a lovely time. We stopped by the counter in the first floor store chat with the helpful man. He and his colleagues were enchanted by mom, a woman who cannot speak one word, yet communicates love to the world around her, and their faces reflected their captivation. There is a light that comes from her which I believe is Jesus who shines through her.
As I pushed her wheelchair from the store I felt proud of my mother. She’s my mom, and she’s my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment